Friday, October 11, 2013

Rainbow Falls with Project Healing Waters

Ben Lewis and I were lucky enough to get on the Mentors list for the Project Healing Waters - Colorado Springs trip up to Rainbow Falls. Cool for a variety of reasons. Long weekend, Rainbow Falls, October in Colorado, sunny day after a cold windy night, and getting to be a Mentor and fish with a Vet for Donaldson's (Super Trout! (good band name)), bows, cuttys, browns, and brook in a place that I've grown to love over this past summer.

Mick Stefan took the wheel as Trip Lead and coordinated an early morning meet up at Angler's Covey. Mick and Jeff Stahnke took care of business and had everyone heading up the hill in no time. Ben and I rode up ahead while the guys made a subway pit-stop and noticed a lone Jeep Cherokee Sport parked in front of Eagle Lake. 

I don't know if there is a cooler Dude than Dave Herber. First off he sealed the deal on the Rainbow Falls membership Ben and I got at the Fly Fishing Expo this past winter. He started talking about 20 inch trout taking a size 14 Adams on a quick weeknight trip up the hill after a hard days work and Ben and I were toast. Where do we sign?

When Ben and I pulled through the gate Dave was already getting a fire going and when we pulled up he offered us Doughnut Mill doughnuts and hot coffee! This guy is a Saint! Don't let the soft exterior fool you though. He will absolutely out fish anyone. I saw him fish for like 2 minutes during lunch break and he hooked 2 and landed 1. I think he had his subway in his left hand and he was casting with his right. Dave you are the man and thanks for breakfast!

I was teamed up with Rick Rood. This guy has been EVERYWHERE. The grand Army tour so to speak only the places he's been you wouldn't want to visit. Talk about some crazy stories. I had a hard time concentrating on the fish. Rick has been through a lot so I'm glad we were able to spend a day on the water. Thank you for your service Rick!

We wound up putting a dozen or so in the net. We nailed this brown right off the bat. Even prettier in person. We fished the creek in the morning and fished in and around Eagle Lake after lunch. Rick was all over the fishing. I just had to put him in front of some fish. He did the rest. It's a good thing too because I didn't want to impart any of my bad habits!

One of the best days I've had at Rainbow Falls! I can't wait for next year.

Dave put together an awesome vid of the trip. You can see a fancy net trick at the 4:10 mark!

No comments:

Post a Comment