Saturday, October 12, 2013

Rainbow Falls Fishing Fix

I am a slacker. Just a bit behind on the blog. Between getting a cold and work getting a tad crazy, I have totally neglected my little fishing blog. I am spoiled too. I'm a little bummed to have to postpone a trip with Landon Meyer on the Dream Stream this fall due to extremely low flows out of Spinney. I'm stuck having to catch torpedoes like this instead. Ehhhh I really shouldn't be whining. Well just one more complaint. Summer went a little too quick this year. It goes quick every year. It goes quicker every year. I'm starting to sound like a goth chick. Gotta pull this write up out of the gutter!

Ben and I had such a great day with Project Healing Waters the day before, we had to deal with the only possible drawback to a day like that which is that you are left absolutely jonesing to fish. Had no choice but to go back up Saturday morning. The fish were enjoying a perfect day and were out in force to eat.

Marty and I rode up early. We started in Eagle Lake and hooked fish regularly in Eagle and in Spring. I almost made Ben wait at the gate and watch me catch fish every few casts in Spring. The fish above was hooked about 5 minutes before Ben showed up. Had to put the rod down and let him in the gate. I was a little worried that I would lose the pattern as so often happens at RFs. Things can change in a minute. Oh yeah, you didn't know? Fish are fish, even at RFs (haters, you know who you are :-). But I did the right thing and only made Ben watch me catch one. OK that's a lie. I let him in.


Didn't really matter where you fished. After letting Ben through the gate, I took a few steps over to the inlet at Palmer Lake and landed this one. Marty was hooking up like crazy in Eagle. He had no reason to leave Eagle. He was hooking up like crazy.


Ben headed down to the creek and Marty and I stayed up top for a while and landed a few more. We met up with Ben who had been killing it on the creek and headed down to Cougar. We started off in our normal spot and fished for a few minutes without a ton of action. I remembered something Ben said about a show he watched where a hardware guy always went to the side of the lake the wind was blowing towards and cast into the wind. When I got to that side of the lake I realized that the sun was throwing long pine tree shadows on the surface. There were defined shadows on the water with the sun glaring through the trees. I cast and tried to land my flies just on the sunny side of the shadow line at it's furthest point. Fish were more than willing and I landed this hog within a few casts.

Ben came over to help with the net. After that quick pic he hooked and landed this thing. Action kept up for another half hour or so and we landed a few more nice ones.

Another great trip to RF in the books! Only a month or so left this season. Should get up there at least a few more times and hopefully land a colored up brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment