Saturday, October 5, 2013

Arkansas River (Pueblo)

Poor little guy lost his lower lip somewhere in the bait section.
With a late night trip to RF the evening prior, Ben and I got a late start on the Ark on Saturday. We decided to fish up towards the dam. The water was dirty and warm. I NEED to get a thermometer. I've been saying that for years. Need to just make it happen. I'm not sure how warm the water was but it seemed noticeably warm. I'm going to go ahead and blame the fishing on the warm water. I've never done great in dirty water but have certainly had better days than we did on Saturday in it.

The flow was in the mid 200's. Great flow for that river. It was harder to find the deeper runs below the dam with the dirty water. I have a general idea of where they are at but without being able to see the bottom they were harder to find. We sort of worked our way down the north bank to find the drop off. I did find one pod of fish but only managed to snag one brown and a sucker. Ben pulled probably the biggest sucker I've seen come out of the river. Now he has the record for trout and suckers between us! Show off.

After fishing this section for a while we went down and hit the Martini hole off of 4th street. We fished it hard and Ben fished the nice runs above it but we didn't have much luck. 4th street section seems to either be great or terrible depending on the day. 

It's been a tough October fishing so far! We are putting in our dues for sure this month. But you know what they say about a bad day fishing....

No comments:

Post a Comment