Friday, October 4, 2013

Rainbow Falls 10/4/13

Another weekend kickoff at Rainbow Falls last night. Temps dropped significantly yesterday and it was a cool 40ish when Mike, Ben, and I pulled up on Cougar Lake. It actually started snowing on us a bit! What happened to summer?

I decided to mix things up a bit and fish the lakes with a two "fly" nymph rig instead of slinging meat right away. I used a pink San Juan up top and a Chartreuse egg on the bottom AKA Steak and Eggs. Now if you fish with a bamboo rod and don't use synthetics when tying flies this might not be the rig for you but it catches a TON of fish so it works for me. This 20 incher hit the egg. Yes the grass is still green and I'm all bundled up but I'm not used to fishing in the cold yet!

We pulled a few more out of Cougar and decided to run up and hit Elk where I don't think I'd be comfortable wading knowing the beasts that lurk in it's depths. I keep expecting to see Jeremy Wade filming there after hearing about some of the yellow alligators pulled from Elk (like this one caught earlier in the year - yes have to show it again - look at that kipe! - and since the water is shut off on the Dream this will have to fill in for my big brown this year). Sad... how many selfies I have. My teenage daughters aint got nothin on me.

Elk was on fire for 20 minutes or so! We were all hooking up regularly on pink, apricot, and chartreuse eggs. Mike hooked up and lost one due to a poor knot and right after that Ben and I hooked up. If someone could tie a knot we would have had triples on Elk! Sorry Mike..... (by the way Mike didn't tie that knot....)

On top of my crappy knot tying I turned to Ben and said, "Man I hope this keeps up". Strike two, someone flipped the switch and everything
stopped. Why does anyone fish with me?  At that point I decided to go hit the far corner of Elk. I walked all the way to the far corner and was still receiving direct mind bullet hits from Ben.

We continued to fish for a while after dark without much luck. Still haven't figured out night fishing at RF. I'm thinking we need to hit the wee hours of the morning. That may take some smooth talking with Richard to pull that off.

No comments:

Post a Comment