Saturday, August 3, 2013

South Platte (Deckers)

Awesome trip up to Deckers on Saturday night with Ben. I hadn't been up to Deckers in a few years. The Old Man and I fished Cheesman Canyon heavily in the 90s but never really fished it much after the Hayman fire. I was pleasantly surprised. I've heard that it's been fishing well for years but I've only been up once or twice in the last 10 years or so and had descent days but it just didn't seem like the same river of my childhood. Last night reminded me of the way it used to be. Only difference is I was fishing with size 16 caddis and stones now! A #16 chartreuse caddis pupa was dynamite for the first hour. After that there was a nice BWO hatch and when that died down they hit a little golden stone pattern. Awesome evening of fishing! Steve at the Covey was spot on with his fly recommendations.

Almost a perfect night of fishing until I stepped on a flat rock that slanted toward a drop off. Thought I might recover for a split second but I was wrong. Only had a quick second to switch the rod over to my other hand before going in. Woke me up quick! That water is cold! Gotta love the GoPro. Got home and it's the first thing I watched. Madison thought it was hilarious. It is.

2 comments:

  1. You were on fire on Sat, that is why you needed to cool off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really missed going the last couple of trips. Damn shoulder is starting to piss me off, but hoping they can figure it out soon and help me get back to my life again. Great shots bud, but too funny watching someone else float away on a river and it NOT be me, :)

    ReplyDelete