Friday, August 2, 2013

Rainbow Falls (Night Fishing)

Decided to go after some big browns at Rainbow Falls Friday night. Ben and I met Joe Van Havermaat at the gate around 5:30. Turns out we picked a pretty busy night to do some night fishing. There was a church group there that was camping out over night. Ben and I didn't handle the news as well as we should have. I apologize to the gate guard for the grim faces. Something about hearing that there are going to be 60 dudes on site the night you decide to do some night fishing chapped our arses. Then we learned that they wouldn't be fishing till the morning. Praise the Lord!

We hit the creek for a while before dark and just killed it on caddis pupa. It was damn near every cast. I fished the creek below Cougar for the first time and had a great time. Some really nice fish in that section. Incredible site fishing. Joe V missed a really big brown we were all chasing down there.

We hit Elk lake after dark and within a few casts I landed a 20-21" bow on a black Meat Whistle. This take really got me going. Right at my feet, big grab, and huge first run. I thought I had hooked the brown I was after. Still a nice fish though and really got me excited. Unfortunately things didn't improve after that. We fished for another hour and a half without much to speak of. Photographer for this trip sucked and didn't get a single fish shot.

Not giving up on the night fishing though. Looking forward to doing some this fall when the water is cooler and the browns are tweaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment