Saturday, May 4, 2013

Arkansas River (Pueblo)

Back into the wild this weekend! I had to get on a river. WAY too long. I've been having a blast at Rainbow Falls but I'm a river fisherman at heart and the moment I stepped into the Ark on Saturday morning I instantly remembered why. There is just something about moving water. The flow Saturday was up (although it looks like they cranked it way back down) and the water was surprisingly clear.

Got a bit of a late start and wound up "blowing through the gate" around 8:30. At least this is how the park ranger described it.... I'm usually on the river before anyone is at the park station by the dam. I drove (slowly) past the booth and stopped to fill out a park pass. Payed our day use, parked, and started gearing up when a park ranger pulled up to give us a large ration of shit. Now I have plenty of respect for these individuals and was more than polite but getting an attitude for an honest mistake was a little unsettling. What was even more unsettling is how unfamiliar this individual was with state fishing regulations when it came to carrying two rods vs. having two lines in the water at one time. If you are going to give someone shit, at least know what you are talking about. Reminded me of Super Troopers. "Super Trooper - Where you boys headed? Me - Ah we are just going to hit the hatchery outlet and maybe get some biscuits and gravy on the way home. Super Trooper - Almost made it". Anyway.... after 20 minutes of harassment we were off.

We were planning on fishing the hatchery outlet but one of my favorite holes was open on the way so we decided to fish there a while. Action was fair. Marty and I landed 3 trout and 5 suckers in 3 hours. There was a small BWO hatch but nothing much to speak of. It was very crowded and we stayed holed up for the full 3 hours. San Juans, PTs (20), and green Forget-Me-Knots (20) took the trout. I did enjoy sight fishing to a few trout on the tail end of the run.

A little video action of the release

Quick half day trip. Sure was nice to be on the river. Heading back next Sunday morning for a half day guide trip. Can't wait to learn some new tricks!

2 comments:

  1. Was good to get back on the River. Next time we'll start out early like we normally do so we can move around a little. Really glad you could come with me though, knew I had to get you away for a short one, :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Park at Nature Center. 4 bucks cheaper and hogs lying low in the weirs.We were on the water at 0630 and fishing was geat until they shut the flow down.

    ReplyDelete