Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Rainbow Falls Post Flood

Having to reach back in the memory bank to write this one. Can't believe how time flies. I'm three blog entries down again. Slacker!

There is a silver lining in everything and big rain can work wonders for fishing. I knew RF would be crazy good. It was just a matter of getting up 24 without running the truck down a class III.

I was in the home office last Tuesday head down in network configurations and decided to step outside for a breather. On my second step outside I was texting Ben. Ben and I hadn't been fishing in a few weeks. Life had thrown a curve ball and Ben had to run out of town for a few weeks. I was really looking forward to getting Ben out on the water again and as soon as I stepped into the absolute perfect day, I instantly thought of RF filled to the brim with fresh cool water and knew what we'd be doing that evening.

Ben was down and I was loading my rod in the fish pimp taco at 4. Um, I was putting my rods into the rod holder on Ben's truck at 4. The creek looked great! Water was cool and high. No brainer on fly selection. Pink Sparkle San Juan. They could not help themselves. It wasn't even fair. We fished down to Cougar and pulled fish the whole way.

We decided to head up and hit the culverts above Palmer. We saw them on the way in and I've never seen the water that high before. I had tied some flesh colored Slump Busters and hadn't tried them yet. I took one look at the white water plunge dumping into the first culvert above Palmer Lake and knew that a bottom bouncing Slump would be killer. New color to try anyway so what the hell. There were some big bows loving the cold white water and they were all over the Slump as soon as it hit bottom.

This guy was 21" and hit on the first or second cast. As soon as I released him I hooked a really nice bow that was in the 24" class. Big male, green back, brick red slab marking. I had him on for a minute or so but he took a quick turn and came unbuttoned.

We fished till dark and continued to catch fish. The drop in water temp certainly has turned things up a notch or two at RF. With big browns starting to follow me in more and more, more water, and dropping temperatures, October is going to be unreal! I feel a 10lb brown coming on.

No comments:

Post a Comment