Thursday, July 4, 2013

Rainbow Falls

Almost forgot to write this one up! Slacker! Ben and I decided to kick off the 4th weekend with some trout harassing at Rainbow Falls. We only fished for a few hours. Fairly slow morning. We picked up a few at Cougar Lake on streamers and then headed up trout creek. We picked up a few on the way to the tubes where we finished the morning.

Streamer fishing has slowed down a bit but there are a few things that I've seen that will trigger a grab. Smaller streamers for one. Go down to a size 12. Larger streamers are getting bumped but not eaten. Loose the bling. Simple black patterns seem to be best. I'm using a size 12 black slump buster a lot. The other thing that I've noticed is that they are getting very specific on the retrieve they want. Very short fast strips followed by a short pause. I'm doing 4 hard, short, fast strips followed by a 1 second pause. Look at your fly in the water when you are doing this. If your fly turns sideways your strips are to long. Don't slow or soften your strips down just shorten them. Strip, strip, strip, pause.. strip, strip, strip, pause. I hold my rod down around my waist and I point my rod tip towards my fly. My rod tip is right at the water level. You should have a straight line of fly line between your rod tip and your fly. Make sure to strip set because I've had several bump the fly and then come back and eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment