Friday, April 12, 2013

Rainbow Falls

Well our Tuesday trip was canxed due to us being soft and not wanting to fish in the cold, and our trip for today up to the Colorado was canxed due to a change in plans with my old man. So we headed up to Rainbow Falls for a quick Friday night trip.

Mike Greene joined us because he was tired of reading about this pig farm and wanted in on the action. We hit Trout Creek for the first hour and each of us caught nice fish. We then decided to head up to the lakes. We fished Spring lake and landed a few. I missed a nice one on a white slump buster that came up to the top and left a huge wake while ditching my fly.

I decided to hit my favorite spot on Elk Lake since it was getting later in the evening. I've found that you don't catch nearly as many in this lake but the ones you do are usually huge. I fished for a good 45 minutes without a bump. I tried a variety of colors and stripping speeds. After rotating through white, black, purple, olive, and brown I was back to white.... Time to start getting creative with stripping. I noticed there were fish cruising around the surface so I figured I go with a super fast strip to keep the fly up towards the top. I cast out to a wake and started stripping as hard as I could. BAM! That was the ticket... This nice 24" brown stopped my speedy white meat whistle in its tracks. She just kinda flopped her weight around and came right in. Not the best fighter in the world (as you can see in the pic I'm real worked up) but this gal is photogenic. Elk takes some patience but the rewards are worth it!

Not making any more promises on where I'll be fishing next. If you are a betting man I'd say the odds are on Rainbow Falls. I'm such a big fish whore....

No comments:

Post a Comment