Saturday, April 6, 2013

Rainbow Falls (Again)

I know I know you're tired of reading about my trips to Rainbow Falls. I can't help going somewhere 35 minutes up the road that holds 10 pound and bigger trout. Do I sometimes feel that I just stole a lolli from a baby like a good friend of mine put it? Yes. Will that stop me from going at least once a week? No. Don't be a hater. I admit I have a problem! If you are tired of reading about Rainbow Falls and are one of my loyal reader(s) hit me up anytime and we'll go so you can experience it for yourself! Just be warned that you may find yourself looking to fund a membership so you can snatch some lollies too!

Marty and I showed up around 7 and had the place to ourselves. I told Marty that I wanted to hit the first few runs in Trout Creek if no one was there. I was rigged and ready to go but Marty had to rig up. He said that I would probably have five fish before he started fishing and it wasn't far from the truth! Absolutely love the first few runs.

Both nymphs and streamers were working. A large white meat whistle seemed to be the ticket this morning. The cool thing about these runs is if you let them sit for 5 to 10 minutes it's just like you hit them for the first time that morning. The fish suffer from fly amnesia. We fished Trout Creek for an hour or so and then decided to hit Spring Lake.

We hit Spring Lake and Elk Lake for a few hours but no one was doing much at the lakes. This was the slowest that I've seen the lakes so far this season. No worries, back down to Trout Creek. One of the nice things about this place is that if one area is slow you can always find another open area to fish.

We hit the exact same runs we had fished in the morning and it was like no one had fished them all day. I think we pulled three or four 20 inch fish out this go around to include this 20" fatty that Marty landed.


We hit Elk Lake again on the way out but only managed to land one 18 inch rainbow. Ran into Greg Blessing and he gave us some great tips. Yet another great thing about Rainbow Falls is all of the nice people you run into while you're fishing there. Everyone is always willing to help and we try to return the favor anytime we can.

Did a little reading on the Donaldson Trout (aka Super Trout) that I've been told are stocked at Rainbow Falls. I'll have to ask Richard to be sure but I'm pretty sure this is what we are catching. I believe it because of the way these fish fight. I had an 18 incher almost tailwalk up the bank on me! Marty was able to snap a pick just as he came out of the water. He saw the net and went CRAZY! It is too fun catching these fish in a little creek.

This guy almost tailwalked himself onto the bank!


1 comment:

  1. I need to work on my fish holding\picture opportunity skills. These fish are fat, sassy, and slippery as hell. Next time I'll know better and will have more pics to take home, LOL
    Was a great time bud, really look forward to visiting this place again soon. Pueblo may just become your winter water only LOL

    ReplyDelete