Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day at Spinney

I wasn't planning on fishing this weekend. I could only get through two of the three days this weekend. I decided last night that I'd set the alarm and if I wasn't too comatose when it went off I'd get up and hit the road.

This turned out to be a fail safe plan for not getting a good nights sleep. I was awake before my alarm went off. Not comatose at all so I hit the road.

I figured it would be packed when I got up there but there was only one other car at the dam. I walked out and spoke with the guy a bit. He left at 2AM to get there early. I'd say he's crazy but the Old Man and I used to leave for the Taylor/Pan at 1AM.

Fishing was descent early. A 6mm fire orange egg trailed by a #14 red Copper John was the best thing I could come up with. I landed 3 or 4 trout and at least that many suckers. Sucker burn was in full effect today. I didn't catch many trout but 2 of the ones I caught were 19". Fat too.

The wind never materialized and it got just as packed as I thought it would so I decided to beat the flash food to 24 and get home early.

Still a great few hours on the water. I did have something interesting happen. I was fishing with Lady Gaga (a hideous huge white streamer I toss from time to time) and got a full stop. I thought I was on the bottom but I always wait for a few seconds. I felt some movement and then my line came flying back in my face.... Pike??? Not sure. It felt strange, like a log, and the movement was very subtle. I figure a big pike would move a little more. Probably a stick but I got some good daydreaming out of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment