Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Arkansas River (Pueblo)

Ben and I decided to get in a few hours on the Ark on Christmas Eve Day. We are trying to get an idea of the current situation on the Ark in Pueblo before the Frostbite Fish-Off in Feb. I didn't do great on our last trip but I took some insect samples and had a few patterns to test drive. I figured things would start to heat up a bit.

Well..... it was another tough day. We started off at the Nature Center and ran into Ben and Lou padding up. We hit the rock pile and worked our way upstream. Ben Lewis managed to hit one right at the Nature Center drop off on a red annelid. I came up empty all around the Nature Center. Not even a hit in the riffle above the rock pile.

We worked our way upstream to the Flag Hole and pretty much finished up the trip there. I had to WORK for the only fish that I caught all day. I knew I was in front of fish but couldn't put the pattern together. This bow hit a 22 Black Beauty which I tied on after Ben and I saw a midge crawl out of it's shuck and fly away on my seine. Awesome thing to watch. It really surprised me how fast it took off after crawling out of the shuck. Ben grabbed it and we saved the adult and the shuck which is a pretty cool thing to have.

After landing the bow above I figured I was on to something but that would not be the case. I wound up with a single hit and a single fish for the entire day. Hmm....... Need to learn a few new tricks before Feb!

Speaking of new tricks - Ben learned that if you don't flip your old man magnifying glasses up after tying on a fly, it'll burn your lips. LOL!! Hilarious.

Location:  Nature Center
Time: 10:45 AM
Water Temp: 41
Weather: Sunny / Windy 40
Hatch: N/A

Location: Flag Hole
Time: 12:00 PM
Water Temp: 42
Weather: Sunny / Windy 40
Hatch: Midge (sparse)
Stage: Pupa/Adult
Size: #22
Abdomen Color: Cream / Grey
Thorax Color: Black
Head Color: Black
Wing Color: Clear
Shuck Color: Light Tan / White
Sample: Yes

Notes: Sample contains an adult midge and the shuck it hatched from. Did see a single BWO Dun at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment