Saturday, October 6, 2012

South Platte (Charlie Meyers SWA)

Had to get over to the Dream Stream at least once this fall so we did a half day this morning. I wanted to concentrate on improving my streamer fishing so I only took a streamer setup. I had tied up some natural sculpin articulated patterns that I was excited to try.

Dad, Marty, and I got to the river around day light and parked down at the inlet at Eleven Mile Reservoir. We decided to cover as much water as possible and didn't stay too long in any run. Dad was throwing Rapalas and Marty and I were throwing streamers.

I was using a sink tip line, 3ft of 2X fluorocarbon tippet, and the articulated streamer shown in the video below. Dad was really getting good action on Rapalas and wound up landing 6 to include a nice 17" brown and had 4 more on.

 I was getting some action on my streamer but knew that I wouldn't catch a lot of fish on it. I just wanted that one big take and see a big yellow swirl. Well I got my chance. I got a good grab and saw a nice yellow swirl but that was the end of it. Didn't get a real good look at the fish but it was a larger brown. It really got the heart pumping! I didn't get a good hook set or he just bumped the fly but either way he was off before he was on.

I wound up catching a few small rainbows which really surprised me. It's amazing the size prey item a small trout will hit. Just another thing that amazes me about these fish. I've been told that a trout will attack a prey item 1/3 the length of it's body!

Marty wound up sticking a few on dries around 11. We made it up to the spillway and decided to turn around and call it a day. Nice half day on the Dream Stream.

No hogs this trip but good streamer practice. Getting a better understanding of using a sink tip line and how to properly fish a streamer. May head up next weekend for another half day and fish the spillway to the damn.


No comments:

Post a Comment