Saturday, June 2, 2012

Arkansas River (Pueblo)

Hot day in Pueblo today. Ben, Marty, and I made our way to the Nature Center and were on the water by 8:30ish. We had decided to start at the Nature Center and work our way downstream since we had never fished that stretch before. We fished the large bend hole right behind the Nature Center and the long deep runs below it. We each hooked a few nice rainbows.
We worked our way downstream and Ben and Marty found a nice seam behind a few large boulders that had trout stacked up like logs. They each caught a few and missed a few more. Ben landed a really nice 18" rainbow but forgot that he had his phone with him and didn't get a pic. The best patterns of the day were red San Juan Worms, Copper Johns, and a new Pheasant Tail variant I tied with a red tungsten bead, red copper wire ribbing, and a flashback.
We continued to work downstream and I started fishing a really nice run behind some huge boulders. I was high sticking the far side of the seam when my indicator shot upstream like a rocket. I set the hook and saw a huge yellow flash. Big fish on! I told Ben that I'd need net help with this one. He made a huge run across the stream and was headed for a submerged log. I had to put WAY too much side pressure on him to keep him away from the far bank. I was able to bring him downstream into some calmer water. I was getting ready to grab my net and he came to the surface and rolled. It was a friggin Sucker! I wound up landing him and he was about a 5lb sucker. What a disappointment!

We got downstream far enough to see Pueblo Boulevard and found a really deep slow pool. I couldn't get a good drift with nymphs so I switched to my streamer rod. After a few casts with an olive and black Slumpbuster I finally had something follow it in and hit it. I saw the flash and new it was a small fish. I couldn't believe a fish that small would hit my streamer. I got him in the net and it turned out to be a Walleye! First walleye on a fly. This little thing was a killer! All mouth and teeth.

After lunch at the Nature Center we fished upstream and hit a few holes that we had fished before. We each hooked a few more but after an hour or so of fishing a storm rolled in. The lightning started flashing and we decided to call it a day.

Another fun day in Pueblo. Love the river down there. The only thing that's disappointing is seeing all of the trash left on the river bank. It's ridiculous to show up at the river with a 12 pack of beer and a can of worms in a flies and lures only section and then to leave all of your trash on the bank. If someone ever deserved an ass kicking it's the tools that do this type of crap. 


Anyway..... always fun fishing with Ben and Marty and we had a great time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment