Thursday, January 19, 2012

Arkansas River (Pueblo) 1/19/12

BLANKED IN THE NIGHT

Is the theme of this post..... Troy Nicholson and I headed out after work for Pueblo. Planing a fishing trip after work makes for one long day! I had kept my eye on the weather in Pueblo all day and as we got ready to leave around 3:30 it was above 60!

We got there and rigged up 3 poles each. Talk about feeling a little over-prepared. We each had a fly rod for throwing streamers/mice patterns, a fly rod for nymphing, and a spinning rod for tossing Rapalas. Yes I throw gear occasional  (and all of you purists out there remind me when the last time was you threw a steak and egg combo in the water). OK... back to the fishing. I had tied up some morish mice. Mine were a little different and I need to change them because they didn't ride right side up in the water. It does look like a little mouse though.

We walked down to the Valco bridge and as we were approaching it the last fisherman of the day was leaving. We had the whole place to ourselves, the weather was perfect, the sunset was beautiful, and we had the whole place to ourselves. Apparently even the fish had hiked it out to spend the night in town.

After 4 hours of fishing I had only two on and didn't land a thing. The most exciting part of the trip is when I retail snapped two flies on the bottom and on the next cast, with a Rapala, snagged them and got both flies back!

This morning my Wife said, "I wonder if trout rely more on their sense of smell during the night to find food". Brilliant! I think she's on to something. From Valco bridge up  you can fish bait. I wonder if some scented flies would work better. I'm not above launching a power bait crawdad jig on a texas rig out there either. OK - now that I've been officially shunned from the fly fishing community I'll wrap this up.

On to the next!

No comments:

Post a Comment